- Born on February 2 in Chiayi during Qing Dynasty rule. Father Chen Shou-yu (1867-1909) was a teacher of a private home-school. Mother pased away soon after Chen Cheng-po was born. Sent to wet nurse for rearing when father re-married.
- Taiwan and Penghu ceded to Japan under the Treaty of Ma Guan. Taiwan entered a period of Japanese rule.
- Grandmother Lin Pao-zhu took over the guardianship and raised him on her own. The two of them shared their meager lives together. Grandmother earned her living by selling peanut oil and miscellaneous cereals.
- Grandmother too old to work. Second uncle Chen Chien took over the guardianship.
- Entered Chiayi Public School (now Chung Wen Elementary School) when he was 13.
- Father Chen Shou-yu passed away.
- Graduated from Chiayi Public School.
- Entered the Japanese School at the Taiwan Governor-General’s Office Teacher Training Department, Section B (now University of Taipei) and learnt under the guidance of watercolor painter Ishikawa Kinichiro. Had the first glimpse and grasp of Western art.
- Graduated from the Teacher Training Program II in Taiwan Governor-General’s Office National Language School.
- Taught in Chiayi Public School and took up counselling work. Won commendation prizes a few times for his conscientious teaching and exemplary performance.
- Married Chang Jie, second daughter of Chang Ji-mei of Chiayi South Gate.
- Birth of eldest daughter Chen Tzu-wei.
- Transferred to Shuikutou Public School Huzinei Annex (now Shuishang Elementary School, Chiayi County)
- Submitted a Chinese article for publication to the Changhua Society for Civil Values Issue 37 and was awarded for ranking Sixth.
- Admitted into the Art Teacher Training Program of the Tokyo School of Fine Arts. Studied sketching in the evening at Hongo Research Institute of Painting for five years in all.
- Birth of second daughter Chen Pi-nu.
- Twilight in a Southern Countryselected for the 2nd Hakujitsukai Art Exhibition.
- Intended to set up an art society “Spring Time Society” with Chen Zhi-qi in Japan but shelved the plan under the objection of senior classmate Huang Tu-shui.
- Riverbed in a Southern Country and Serenity of a Southern Country selected for the 3rd Hakujitsukai Art Exhibition.
- Outside Chiayi Street (1) selected for the 7th Imperial Academy of Fine Arts Exhibition. (“Imperial Exhibition”.)
- Birth of first son Chen Tsung-kuang.
- Snow Scene and Matsu Temple selected for the 23rd Pacific Art Society Art Exhibition.
- Chiayi City Hall selected for the 8th Central Art Exhibition.
- After graduating from the Art Teacher Training Program of the Tokyo School of Fine Arts, continued studies in the Graduate Program.
- Museum in Autumn and Asakusa at a Distance selected for the 4th Kaijusha Exhibition.
- Art Museum in Autumn and Snowy Road selected for the 4th Hakujitsukai Art Exhibition.
- Solo exhibition held in the Taipei Museum. Oil paintings exhibited included: Outside Chiayi Street, Riverbed at Minamikuni, Museum in Autumn, Garden of Tokyo School of Fine Arts, Seiyoukan, Early Snow in Ueno, Traces of Zhuxi, Gulangyu, Outskirts, Izu Landscape, Snowy Road, Scene at Dawn, Clamming, Red Leaves, Suma-ku Lake, Viewing Cherry Blossoms; watercolor Riverside and Japanese painting Autumn Lament.
- Solo exhibition at Chiayi City Hall. 61 pieces of artwork on display.
- Set up the “Red Sun Society” with Liao Ji-chun, Yen Shui-long, Fan Hung-chia, Ho De-lai and Chang Shun-qing. An exhibition was held in Tainan City Hall on 1-3 September with 120 pieces of artwork on display.
- Summer Street Scene selected for the 8th Imperial Exhibition.
- Imperial Household Museum selected for the 1st Taiwan Art Exhibition (“Taiwan Exhibition”)
- Joint art exhibition with Lin Yu-shan at the entertainment section of Chiayi City Hall.
- Snow in Jade Mountain selected for the 5th Hakujitsukai Art Exhibition.
- Beside Shinobazu selected for the third “1930 Association” Art Exhibition.
- Scene at Year End selected for the 5th Kaiijusha Exhibition.
- Snow Scene selected for the 15th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Solo exhibition at Xuying Academy, Xiamen. 40 paintings displayed.
- Echo at Empty Valley and Qiantang River selected for the Fujian Art Exhibition.
- Longshan Temple (special selection) and A West Lake Canal selected for the 2nd Taiwan Exhibition.
- Oil painting Longshan Temple was dedicated as an offering at the conference room of Longshan Temple at Wanhua District, together with the Sakyamuni Buddha Statue by sculptor Huang Tu-shui.
- Dongpu Bridge, West Lake selected for the 6th Kaiijusha Exhibition.
- Graduated from the Graduate Program of Art Teacher Training Program of the Tokyo School of Fine Arts.
- Early Spring, Lucid Water and Afternoon at a Silk Mill presented for exhibition at the First China National Art Exhibition in Shanghai organized by the Ministry of Education.
- Clear Light on the Lake, Park on the Bund, Chinese Woman in Nude and Hangzhou Tongjiang Bridge presented for exhibition at the West Lake Expo.
- In summer, Chang Da-chian and Yu Jian-hua were about to leave for Japan. Before departure, the four painters Chang Da-chian, Chang Shan-zi, Yu Jian-hua and Yang Qing-pan worked together and drew an ink-wash scroll of fruit and flowers, with inscriptions from Wang Ji-yuan, as a souvenir for Chen Cheng-po.
- Appointed professor of Western Painting Department of Shanghai’s Xinhua Art University along with Wang Di-lang.
- Entered the “Art and Calligraphy Exhibition of Contemporary Masters”, the first art exhibition organized by the Yi-yuan Painting Research Institute. It took place in the Shanghai Ningbo Clansmen Association. His paintings Evening Tide, Whitecaps Amid Rain and Wind and Puji Temple (Putuo Former Temple) were on display.
- Early Spring selected for the 10th Imperial Exhibition.
- Late Autumn (special selection, not submitted to the Selection Committee ), Former Temple, Putuo Mountain (not submitted to the Selection Committee), West Lake Broken Bridge with Remnant Snow (not submitted to the Selection Committee), also called Lucid Water selected for the 3rd Taiwan Exhibition.
- Took up the post of tutor in the Yi-yuan Painting Research Institute.
- Taught in Chang Ming Art School.
- Hangzhou Landscape selected for the 7th Kaiijusha Exhibition.
- Former Temple, Putuo Mountain selected for the Second Prince Shotoku Memorial Exhibition.
- Took part in the 2nd Art Exhibition of the Red Island Painting Society which took place in the Tainan Municipal Hall.
- Brought family over to Shanghai for reunion.
- Solo Art Exhibition at Taichung Municipal Hall; 75 paintings on display.
- Under the advice of the ex-governor, Kamiyama Mannoshin, went for a sketching trip to Daqili Creek in the Eastern coast of Taiwan.
- Appointed Honorary Professor of Shanghai Yi-yuan Painting Research Institute.
- Sea-bathing Spot at Putuo Mountain (not submitted to the Selection Committee) and Tiger Hill, Suzhou (not submitted to the Selection Committee) selected for the 4th Taiwan Exhibition.
- Resigned from the post of Head of Western Painting Department of Xinhua Art College.
- Took part in the Xinhua Art Exhibition organized by the Xinhua Art College. The venue was the hall of New World Hotel.
- Oil painting Human Body entered for the 2nd Art Exhibition of Yi-yuan.
- The 3rd Art Exhibition of the Red Island Painting Society was held in Taipei Old Office. Five paintings were exhibited, including Shanghai Outskirts and Male Portrait etc.
- Went sketching in Jichang Garden, Wuxi, Jiangsu Province; Taihu Yuantouzhu and Huishan etc.
- Convened the first executive meeting of the “Dike-breaking Club” in Shanghai’s Plum Garden Restaurant with Ni Yi-de, Pang Xun-qin, Zhou Duo and Ceng Zhi-liang.
- Ke Garden, Suzhou selected for the 5th Taiwan Exhibition.
- Birth of third daughter Pai-mei.
- Resigned from the post of Head of Western Painting Department of the Xinhua Art College.
- Took part in the second executive meeting of the Dike-breaking Club.
- West Lake Landscape selected for the 7th Chuntai Exhibition.
- Sent family back to Taiwan after the January 28 Incident.
- Nominated as a representative of the Republic of China for the World Expo in Chicago (1933-1934).
- Matsumura Sunset selected for the 6th Taiwan Exhibition.
- Returned to settle down in Taiwan from Shanghai.
- Spring at West Lake (1) selected for the 7th Taiwan Exhibition.
- Spring at West Lake (2) selected for the 15th Imperial Exhibition.
- Bagua Mountain (special selection, Taiwan Exhibition Award)and Streetscape were selected for the 8th Taiwan Exhibition; also given the honor of exemption from submission to the selection committee for five years.
- Joined the inauguration ceremony of the Tai Yang Art Society held in Railway Hotel.
- Birth of second son Chen Chien-min.
- Southern Country Street Scene and Beside Shinobazu selected for the 22nd Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Foliage, Summer Day, Peony, Twilight, Streetscape, Spring in West Lake and Remnant Snow at Jade Mountain selected for the 1st Tai Yang Art Exhibition.
- Spring on Ali Mountain and Tamsui Landscape selected for the 9th Taiwan Exhibition
- Red Castle in Tamsui selected for the 23rd Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Taiwan Literature and Arts League organized an integrated arts seminar in Chao-ri Hall. Chen Cheng-po, Lin Jin-hong, Yang San-long, and Tsao Chiu-pu attended.
- Guanyin Gazing Afar, Tamsui Landscape, Beitou Hot Spring, Yi-yuan and Zhishan entered for the 2nd Tai Yang Art Exhibition.
- The First National Calligraphy Exhibition organized by the Taiwan Calligraphy Society took place at the Taiwan Education Association Building. Chen Cheng-po’s eldest daughter Tzu-wei, second daughter Pi-nu and eldest son Tsung-kuang were selected for their regular scripts.
- Hill and Winding Path selected for the 10th Taiwan Exhibition.
- Commended for being selected for the Taiwan Exhibition for 10 consecutive years.
- Tamsui Landscape selected for the 24th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Nobeyama, Harbor, Mount Myogi, Red House, Ali Mountain and White Horse entered for the 3rd Tai Yang Exhibition.
- Jian Tan Shan entered for the “Cheering for the Imperial Japanese Army Painting Exhibition”.
- Chiayi Park selected for the 25th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Nude Woman, Dahlia, Jian Tan Temple, Sunrise at Jade Mountain, Biantian Pond (now renamed Chiayi Park (1)), Chiayi Park, Flame Trees and Mount Myogi entered for the 4th Tai Yang Exhibition.
- Ancient Temple (not submitted to the selection committee) selected for the 1st Taiwan Governmental Fine Arts Exhibition (“Governmental Exhibition” for short).
- Coconut Grove selected for the 26th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Nanyao Temple (now renamed Waterside), Spring Day and Camel entered for the 5th Tai Yang Art Exhibition.
- Crashing Waves (nominated) selected for the 2nd Governmental Exhibition.
- Waterside selected for the 27th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Six paintings, including Horn Lake, Sunrise, Spring Time in Eastern China and Mist , entered for the 6th Tai Yang Art Exhibition.
- Became special member of Qing Chen Art Association, responsible for mentoring Western painters in Chiayi. Their first art exhibition was held on August 29 –September 2.
- Summer Morning selected for the 3rd Governmental Exhibition.
- Poolside selected for the 28th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Landscape and others entered for the 7th Tai Yang Art Exhibition.
- In an auction of small Western paintings organized by the Taiwan Literature Magazine, donated a total of 50 paintings with Li Mei-shu and Lee Shih-chiao.
- View of Sin-lau Girls School selected for the 4th Governmental Exhibition.
- Girls Picking Flowers selected for the 29th Kofu-kai Exhibition.
- Four Paintings, including View of Sin-lau Girls School, selected for the 8th Tai Yang Art Exhibition.
- Early Autumn (recommended) selected for the 5th Governmental Exhibition.
- Works including Chiayi Park entered for the 9th Tai Yang Exhibition.
- class="enitem"Sin-lau (Recommended) entered for the 6th Governmental Exhibition.
- Path in Front of a Shrine, Torii, Bitan, Air Defense Training, Fun Behind the Combat Zone and Xinbeitou from a Distance entered for the 10th Tai Yang Exhibition.
- End of the Second World War; Japan surrendered unconditionally; Taiwan returned to the National Government.
- Assumed the post of vice chairman of the “People of Chiayi City National Government Welcoming Preparation Committee”.
- Executive member of the Chiayi City Self-Governing Association.
- Elected member of First City Council of Chiayi.
- Served as an adjudicator for the First Taiwan Provincial Fine Art Exhibition and presented his works: Celebration Day, Children’s Amusement Park and Bamboo Factoryfor display.
- Outbreak of the 228 Incident.
- Because of his involvement in the 228 Incident, he was publicly executed outside Chiayi Railroad Station on March 25. Died at 53.